Note: this story is a creepypasta, ie we do not know if it’s real or not.

During the late 1940s, Russian researchers kept five people awake for a fortnight using an experimental gas based on stimulants. They were locked in a sealed environment so that they could control their oxygen consumption so that the gas did not kill them, since it was toxic from a high concentration. This took place before the invention of closed circuit cameras, so they only had microphones and glass windows a dozen centimeters in the shape of portholes that allowed them to be monitored. The room was equipped with extra beds without bedding, running water and toilets, and contained books and enough dry food so that they could hold five for more than a month.

The test subjects were political prisoners deemed enemies of the state during the Second World War.
Everything went well during the first five days; subjects rarely complained because they had been promised that they would be free if they agreed to take the test and not sleep for thirty days (although the release was out of the question). Their conversations and activities were monitored, and it was noted that they spoke only of increasingly traumatic incidents in their past, the tone of the conversation becoming much darker after the fourth day.

After five days, they began to complain about the circumstances and events that had taken them to where they were and to show signs of severe paranoia. They stopped talking to each other and instead spoke to the microphones or the one-way mirrors of the portholes. Curiously, they seemed to think they could gain the confidence of the experimenters by turning against their comrades, the other test subjects in captivity with them. The researchers first of all assumed that it was a gas effect …

After nine days, the first of them started screaming. He ran the length of the room screaming loudly for three hours without stopping, and then tried not to stop, but he could only produce small squeaks from time to time. The researchers thought he had torn the vocal cords. The most surprising thing about this behavior is the way the other subjects reacted … or rather did not react. They continued to whisper to the microphones until the second screaming began. Two of the captives who were not shouting then boned the books, coated all the pages with their own droppings and stuck them on the glass of the portholes. The cries stopped quickly.

The murmurs addressed to the microphones also.

Three days have passed. The researchers checked the pickups every hour to make sure they were working because they thought it was impossible for five people locked in a room to produce no sound. The oxygen consumption in the room indicated that they had to be all five alive. In fact, it was the amount of oxygen that five people would consume during extremely strenuous exercise. On the morning of the fourteenth day, the researchers did something they said they would not do to get a reaction from the captives: they used the intercom of the room, hoping to provoke some kind of response from the inmates. They were afraid that they were dead or in a vegetative state.

They announced, “We will open the room to test the microphones; stay away from the door and lie on your stomach on the ground, or you will be slaughtered. If you respect these rules, one of you will gain his freedom. ”

To their surprise, they heard a single phrase in a calm voice: “We do not want to be released. ”

Debates broke out between the researchers and the military forces financing the project. Since it was impossible to obtain further answers using the intercom, it was finally decided that the door of the room would be open at midnight on the fifteenth day.

The chamber was drained of stimulating gas and filled with fresh air, and voices from the microphones immediately began to protest. Three different voices began to beg, as if it were about the life of the love of their life, to put the gas back. The room was opened and soldiers were sent inside to find the test subjects. They started screaming louder than ever, and the soldiers quickly did the same when they saw what was inside. Four of the five subjects were still alive, although the state in which they were not qualifying as “alive”.

The food rations of the previous five days had not been affected. There were pieces of flesh from the thighs and torso of the dead subject sinking into the drain in the center of the chamber, blocking it, and allowing about ten centimeters of water to accumulate on the ground. The portion of this water that was composed of blood was not determined. The four “surviving” subjects also had large portions of muscle and skin torn from their bodies. The destruction of flesh and bones in the air on their fingers indicated that the wounds were inflicted by hand, not with the teeth, as the researchers had originally thought. More precise observations of the position and angle of the wounds showed that most, if not all, wounds were inflicted by themselves.

The abdominal organs under the rib cage of the four subjects had been removed. As the heart, lungs and diaphragm remained in place, the skin and most of the muscles attached to the ribs were torn off, allowing the lungs to be distinguished across the ribs. All the blood vessels and organs were intact, they had simply been removed and placed on the ground, distributed around the eviscerated bodies, but still alive, subjects. The digestive system of the four subjects could be observed in operation, digesting food. It was very quickly clear that they were digesting their own flesh, which they had torn off and devoured during the previous days.

Most of the soldiers were Russians from a special commando assigned to the installation, but most refused to return to the room to take out the test subjects. They were still screaming to be left in the room and begging for gas to go back to sleep.

To the surprise of everyone, the subjects gave a violent fight when they were released. One of the Russian soldiers had his throat torn and died, another one came out badly wounded, after being torn off the testicles and piercing an artery of one of his legs by the teeth of a subject. Five other soldiers lost their lives, including those who committed suicide in the weeks following the incident.

During the fight, the spleen of one of the living subjects ruptured and it emptied of blood almost immediately. Medical researchers tried to put him to sleep, but it proved useless. He was injected more than ten times the maximum dose for a human of a derivative of morphine, and he continued to fight like a rabid animal, breaking the ribs and arms of one of the doctors. It was found that the heart continued to beat for two full minutes after the bleeding had brought it to a point where its vascular system was filled with more air than blood. Even after he stopped, he continued shouting for three minutes, trying to attack anyone who came within range and continually repeating the word “PLUS”, faintly, until he be silenced.

The three surviving test subjects were immobilized and transported to a medical facility, both having their vocal cords still intact, continuing to beg the return of gas to stay awake …

One of the three with the most injuries was taken to the only operating room that had the facility. During the procedure to prepare him for the replacement of his internal organs, he proved to be immune to the sedatives administered to him in order to put him in condition for the surgical procedure. He struggled furiously against his bonds when the numbing gas was brought to put him out of action. He managed to tear almost all of a ten centimeter thick leather band attached to one of his wrists, even with the weight of a ninety-kilogram soldier trying to keep the wrist motionless. Just above normal was needed to put him to sleep, and the second time his eyelids closed, his heart stopped. During the autopsy of the test subject who died on the operating table, it was revealed that his blood contained three times the normal oxygen concentration. The muscles that were still attached to his skeleton were horribly torn apart and nine bones had broken in his struggle not to be overpowered. Most because of the strength that his own muscles had exerted on them.

The second survivor was the first in the group to start screaming. His vocal cords being destroyed, he was unable to plead or protest the operation, and he only reacted by shaking his head violently to show his disapproval when the anesthetic gas was brought near him. He shook his head to say yes when someone reluctantly suggested trying the operation without anesthesia, and did not react during the six hours required to replace his abdominal organs and attempt to cover them with what was left of skin. The presiding surgeon kept repeating that it should be medically impossible for the subject to be alive. A terrified nurse who was attending the operation said she had seen the patient’s mouth smile a few times, every time her eyes met hers.

When the surgery was over, the subject looked at the surgeon and began to whistle loudly, trying to speak while struggling. Assuming that it had to be important, the surgeon asked for a pencil and a notebook so that the patient could write his message. It was simple. “Keep cutting”.

The other two test subjects underwent the same procedure, both without anesthesia. However, it was necessary to inject a paralyzer for the duration of the operation. The surgeon was unable to perform the surgery while the patients were laughing continuously. Once paralyzed, the subjects could only follow the doctors of the eyes. The paralytic was eliminated from their system after an unusually short period of time and they quickly tried to escape. By the time they were able to start talking again, they started asking for the stimulant gas again. The researchers tried to ask why they had inflicted these wounds, why they had torn their own bowels and why they wanted the gas again.

The only answer that was given was, “I have to stay awake.”

The links of the three subjects were reinforced and they were put back in the room while waiting to know what they were going to do with them. The researchers, facing the anger of the military “benefactors” because of their inability to reach the goal they had set for them, thought about euthanizing them. The commanding officer, a former KGB agent, on the contrary, saw potential in them, and wanted to see what would happen if they were plunged back into the gas. Researchers have formally opposed it, but their objections have been ignored.

In order to prepare them to be sealed again in the room, the subjects were connected to an electroencephalographic monitor, and their links were reinforced for long-term containment. To everyone’s surprise, all three stopped fighting when someone blurted out that they would be put back in the gas. It was obvious that at that moment, they had a lot of trouble staying awake. One of the subjects who could speak was humming loudly and without stopping; the mute subject pressed his legs with all his strength, first the right, then the left, then again the right, to have something to focus on. The last subject kept his head above his pillow and blinked quickly. Having been the first to be connected to the electroencephalogram, most researchers observed his brain waves with surprise. They were normal most of the time, but sometimes inexplicably displayed a simple line. It was as if he suffered several brain deaths, before everything returned to normal. As they focused on the paper coming out of the monitor, only one nurse saw her eyelids close as her head fell back onto her pillow. His brainwaves immediately fell into those of deep sleep, then the straight line appeared for the last time, as his heart stopped.

The only subject remaining able to speak began screaming to be sealed immediately. His brain waves showed the same straight lines as the one who died after falling asleep. The commander gave the order to seal the room with the two subjects inside, as well as three researchers. One of the three who were named immediately pulled out his revolver and fired a shot between the commander’s two eyes, then turned his weapon against the mute subject, also blowing his brain.

He then pointed his weapon at the remaining subject, still tied to the bed while the remaining members of the medical and research team fled the room. “I will not let myself be shut up in those things! Not with you! he shouted at the man attached to the table. WHAT ARE YOU? he asked. I must know it! ”

The subject smiled.

“Have you forgotten so easily? answered the subject. We are you. We are the madness that is hidden in each of you, begging to be released at any time into your animal spirit. We are what you hide every night in your beds. We are what you reduce to silence and paralysis when you join the night paradise that we can not tread. ”

The researcher made a stop. Then he aimed at the heart of the subject and fired. The electroencephalogram then showed a straight line, while the subject choked, leaving a few words faint: “If … near being … free …”

Like it? Share with your friends!


What's Your Reaction?



Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Pière J. Robin
Creator of Hellystar, I am here to help you discover many exciting, extraordinary and sometimes very strange subjects.
Choose A Format
Voting to make decisions or determine opinions
Formatted Text with Embeds and Visuals
The Classic Internet Countdowns
Youtube, Vimeo or Vine Embeds
Soundcloud or Mixcloud Embeds
Photo or GIF